Saturday, November 17, 2018

Introduction


A beginning is a very delicate time.

Know then, that the lands of the circle sea are united by the benevolence of the Citizen in their Emerald Seat. Gold keeps the peace of the Union - gold marked by the holy Cog-flower of the Citizen. In this time, the greatest source of gold are the trade routes of the Purple Lands of the Cat. Hopefuls come from all across the circle sea and points beyond. They make their way to the Violet City: city of the Catlords, jewel of the Agate Islands, end point of the High and Low Road. Westwards lie the Ultraviolet Grasslands and the fabled Black City at the end of the world.

A while ago I stumbled upon a little pdf that inspired me. Enough to search the shelves, break out the dice, and dust off the rules books. To convince my friends they needed to try this out. The Ultraviolet Grasslands by Luka Rejec is something different. It makes me think of fantasy which is not your bog-standard "epic fantasy". Jack Vance, China Mieville, and others. The closest I've read is "The History of the Runestaff" series by Michael Moorcock. But the Ultraviolet Grasslands are even stranger.
Between acting as a chew toy to a 5 month old daughter, I looked into how to run a point-crawl. My friends had only ever played through the new 5e starter set. Pre-generated characters and linear encounters. Don't get me wrong, they had a blast and want to play again. But running the game felt a little lacking. I've been spoilt by games like "Apocalypse World" and "Blades in the Dark". The phrase play to find out rang true for me, and the others agreed with me. I wanted to go into this game and not know what is going to happen, to be surprised by what my players uncover.


So I looked for some tools to help me inject some chaos into my game. For starters, The Hill Cantons Compendium provides awesome tools for random characters. Great for inspiring players! Next, Yoon-Suin the Purple Land is an incredible setting toolkit. It creates a fever-dream southeast asian setting that cries out for adventure!

So the campaign we will be playing is going to be a long journey of strange and random events... but I hope for a lot of awesome fun to come out of it.

-AW

1 comment:

  1. 3d titanium tube - baojititanium
    An electronic gaming device that titanium dive knife plays cartridges that can fit on table games titanium dioxide or 2020 ford edge titanium for sale table poker ti89 titanium calculators table games is titanium tube a new concept. These cartridges

    ReplyDelete